Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Friggin Favs.

These are my top 10 friggin favourites (again Canadian... yes there's a "u" in favourites).  Also due to the fact that I had difficulties narrowing this down to 10 I'm also throwing in some honorable mentions.  I can do that... because this is my blog.  Haterzzzz.


1.  MAC 217 Blending Brush

This brush is by far my favourite eye brush.  I've often told people I could do all of my makeup with this one tool.  Reason being the natural fibers and oval cut shape are amazing with both cream and powder products as well as being soft enough to blend but with enough resistance to pack on product.  I carry a few of these in my kit and they're the brushes I go to without thinking 9 times out of 10.  This brush wouldn't be good for those with a natural hair sensitivity however (sorry Linz! heart you!). 

2.  MAC Face and Body Foundation

I freaking love Face and Body foundation not gunna lie.  I have trouble finding foundation that matches my skin tone being that I'm very very fair skinned as well as I'm entirely too picky about the finish of my skin.  I have oily skin but I HATE (LOATHE ENTIRELYYYY) matte skin on myself.  Most foundations that leave a glowy finish on the skin don't have the greatest staying power and end up looking separated and pretty nasty at the end of the day.  Face and Body lasts on my skin all day without really changing in appearance, I have a feeling that's due to it being a water based, water resistant foundation.  PLUS in the MAC pro line they make a white version (seen here) so no matter how pale I get in the winter I'm good to go! 

3.  MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Lightscapade


SOOOO PRETTYYYYYY GUUUUUHHHHHHHH.  
I don't really know what my life was before I found highlighting products?  Like really?  I walked around without an ethereal glow?  I'm an idiot.  So for years I tried to find the right product for me and being so freaking pale didn't help the situation.  Once I found Lightscapade I was hooked.  If you're a pale girl you need to get your hands on this gloriousness.  I believe it's limited edition though so friggin get on it.  GUH. 
I suppose I should mention it's listed as a soft candlelit beige with multidimensional shimmer... orrr you could just look at the pictures... like a normal person.  guh. so demanding. 

4.  Eyeshadow Primer - Too Faced Shadow Insurance/ Urban Decay Primer Potion

I don't think I could tell you which I liked more so I've included both.  This is the old packaging for the Primer Potion, I believe it comes in a squeeze tube now but I still had this one lying around.  I tend to keep it for personal use and the Shadow Insurance for use on others (and myself I lied... SAHRY).  In my opinion these are invaluable in my kit, for people with very oily eyelids (like myself) cream shadows used as a base simply don't cut it.  I've tried using powder shadows over bare lids, cream shadows, concealers, eyeliners, everything but i still get creasing.  With the primers I know that my eye makeup, no matter how dark, sparkly or intricate it may be, will last.  Even on days when I'm only wearing liquid liner and no shadow I tend to put the primer down first to create a barrier between the oils on my lids and the liner to stop transferring.  Love 'em.

5.  Duo Lash Glue (and my favourite false lashes)

 I'm obsessed with false lashes, OBSESSEDDDDDD and if I'm applying lashes you know I'm using Duo glue.  I've tried others (Lise Watier, Quo, Ardell, Eyelure, etc) and none of them compared.  My favourite thing about Duo is how light it feels on the lid and you can get a great hold on the lashes with just a thin swipe of glue.  My favourite lashes really depend on the look I'm doing but they are typically tapered and wispy.  My absolute favourites are MAC #4's but Ardell wispies and demi wispies are a close second and third.  I also really loved the Eyelure Katy Perry "Oh Honey!" lashes but they didn't hold up for more than one wear!
P.S. I got the Cherry Blossom Lashes at beautyjoint.com they're ok... really thin but nice and flirty looking.

6.  Bioderma Sensibio H2O

Ohhhh French skincare whyyyy are you soooo amazinggggg.  This is a bit of a dual purpose product, it's an amazing makeup remover even for water resistant products but it's also an amazing facial cleanser.  If you're unable to have access to water you can use Bioderma Sensibio and you'll get completely thorough cleansing.  I've got basically every size of this stuff for my own personal use, my kit, my purse, travel bag, kitchen sink, bathroom, my car, your mom's room.  I can even remove my makeup with my contacts in using this product without causing me major discomfort and temporary blindness.  I get mine with no issues at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada.  Sorry American readers I know you guys have more trouble getting this in your country.  Not that sorry though... we can have something nice too you know.

7.  Makeup fixing sprays and refreshing sprays: Make Up For Ever Mist & Fix and MAC Fix +

Before ya'll have a hissy fit, no MAC fix+ is not a makeup fixing spray... it doesn't act as "hair spray" for your face but it does help makeup sit better on the skin thereforeeee making it look better and (on me) last longer.  Fix+ includes skin soothing ingredients like cucumber, chamomile, and green tea.  It also includes vitamins and minerals with a light floral fresh fragrance (apparently of Sugi? which according to wikipedia is a kind of tree? A member of the cedar family? Really?  I learned something today! I thought that dogs laid eggs...).  Mist & Fix on the other hand is marketed as a fixative for the makeup to protect against environmental damage (change in temperature, humidity, pollution).  Chitosan, a marine algae extract gives the Mist & Fix it's protective qualities.  So with all that said... I like them both... equally.  I especially like them straight out of the fridge in the dead heat of the summer... soooo gooooood.

8.  Cargo Key Largo Blush

This was not a planned purchase for me like 3 years ago... I had gone to a Cargo counter with the intent of purchasing another colour but this near neon pinky peach blush called to me.  It's described as a fruit punch colour with no shimmer or glitter.  There is not a single person that I've used this colour on that it didn't look completely perfect.  The packaging is simple and sleek and the pigmentation is insane.  I've had this for a very long time, I wear it maybe 4 out of 7 days of the week and I can't see the end of it yet so I'd say it's worth the $29 price tag.

9.  Real Techniques Brushes by Samantha Chapman

I love these I love these I love these I love these.  Synthetic hair that acts like natural, perfectly cut, amazing designs and a great wide range of sizes.  I'm amazed by how quickly they clean and dry and that's a huge positive when you're doing makeup for a wedding party of 8 or 9.  The face brushes are completely unmatched by other brands and their price point is UNBELIEVABLE.  I grab more of them every single time I find myself at an Ulta store or I order them online at iherb.com.  I can see myself replacing most of my brushes in my kit for these in the near future.  (except for my 217... no touchy)

10.  Eye Lash Curlers

You know that "deserted island" question?  Ya this is my answer.  I could have a day where I wear zero makeup, my skin looks like complete garbage and I don't change from my pjs but if I curl my eyelashes I automatically feel better about the way I look.  I've once again tried dozens of different lash curlers but I've ended up narrowing it down to the MAC curlers for my own personal use and Shu Uemura curlers for my kit as the slightly flatter shape makes them easier to use on other people. If you ever find yourself asking "do I need to curl my eyelashes?" 99.9% of the time the answer will be yes.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
(keeping it short and sweet... since this is unbelievably long)

1.  L'Oreal Voluminous Mascara

Just a solid staple for me

2.  MAC Vanilla Pigment
Beautiful on all skin tones, highlighter, eyeshadow, lipgloss mix-in amazing. 

3.  MAC Prep and Prime Skin
Love the slight glow it adds to the skin and LOVE the spf 50 face protect version 

4.  Jack Black Lipbalm
Works wonders, not too glossy or thick, smells great

5.  Kat Von D Tattoo Liner
Tried this on a whim and ended up loving it.  Super fine BRUSH tip (not felt) super black, no smudging or transfer.  This is my second one.  

DANG!  

Thanks for taking the time to read this if you do.  I for serious appreciate that shit.  
Also would be awesome if you took the time to "Follow" my blog!  Pretty please?  

Any questions or comments are also totally welcome!  
Hope you get a chance to try some of these products and see if they work for you! 

Smell ya later
KC



No comments:

Post a Comment